Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Final Chance to be a Hero

Crossing Oceans
by Gina Holmes

Genre; Fiction/Drama
Publisher; Tyndale House Publishers/USA/ 2010
Pages; 368
ISBN; 978-1-4143-3305-2

Plot; Jenny thought she and David would be together forever, but on the night she plans to tell him she is pregnant he beats her to the punch by ending their relationship.

Young and scared, Jenny runs. She runs from her small town home and finds a new life for herself and her unborn baby in the city.

Six years later Jenny has an established life and has begun climbing the ladder of the business world when she gets the devastating news that her time has run short.

With only months left of her short life she must make the journey home. She must set up a life for her daughter, Bella, with the family Jenny once left behind.

My Thoughts; The book is an onslaught of emotions. As I turned the pages the smile was ever constant on my face, as was the tears in my eyes.

This is one of those books which is so light and happy in so many ways, but has such a heavy and saddening undertone. I loved it. I gorged myself on every word and every goose bump.

Holmes is a wonderful talent. She takes what is essentially a devastating story and makes it uplifting and inspiring and makes the reader realise how special each day of their life is.

This really is a story of relationships; watching the beautiful formation of new love, the never ending struggle of love lost, the selfless love of a mother, the misunderstood love of a father and the warm endearing love of kin.

The writing itself is so relaxed and conversational that is allows the reader to focus more on these relationships and their development, than on cliched sentiment which is so often present in this genre.

While this book lead me to shed so many tears, as a mother myself, it also lead me to appreciate life so much more and the time I spend with my child.

Every now and again a book comes along which changes you. A book which forces you to question yourself; your life, the ones you love, how much you love them, the time you spend with them. For me, Crossing Oceans is one of those books.

I'll admit, I cannot see the male readers out there devouring this book, but I recommend this book to every woman. Particularly for those mothers out there, this is a must read.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment